Applicant Eligibility and Information
To apply to the Directed Energy Scholars Program, you must be enrolled in a Masters or PhD program (at the time of application) in the science and engineering disciplines.
To be eligible for the Directed Energy Scholars Program, prospective scholars:
- Must be US Citizens; the scholars programs are not open to non-US Citizens, US Permanent Residents, or Dual Citizens.
- Must currently be enrolled or accepted at an educational institution taking at least a half-time academic courses leading to a degree or certificate.
- Must be willing to temporarily relocate to the physical work location. The Directed Energy program does NOT provide funds for relocation or housing above and beyond the salary that is offered for the position.
- Must be available to work full-time (40 hours per week).
- Must be able to begin work either May 20th or June 3rd, 2013.
- All applicants will be required to pass a national agency background check.
- Directed Energy Scholars will be paid competitive stipends (equivalent to Step 1: GS-7, GS-9, or GS-11) based on academic level and duration of internship.
- Review the available research Topics. You may apply to a maximum of TWO different topics.
- You may use the "Contact" feature located next to each Topic (as well as next to each Mentor bio on the List of Mentors page) to initiate contact with the mentor. Mentors can provide you with additional information or answer questions related to the topic.
- Once you have decided which topic(s) you will apply to, you will need to submit an electronic application by going to the Application page:
- Create a log in account.
- Use the Application Module to fill out your information and upload documents to complete the online portion of the application package. Last day to submit is February 5, 2013.
- Your application is complete when you successfully hit the submit button, which is only possible when all required fields are filled out and required documents are uploaded.
- Once you have submitted an application, you may make changes to your application and re-submit at any time before 11:59 PM MT on February 5, 2013.
- A complete application package consists of:
- Application (Personal and Academic Information)
- Transcripts (official or unofficial)
- *Letter(s) of Recommendation (optional)
*Letter(s) of Recommendation: In the application module, you will be prompted to indicate whether or not you will include letter(s) of recommendation in your application package. If you are, you will be asked to input the name and email address of your reference. An email will be sent to this reference containing instructions on how to submit the letter of recommendation for you. When a recommendation is received, you will be notified via email and will be able to verify receipt by logging into your application account. In the application module, you will have the option to list three references. Although letters of recommendation are optional, they can significantly enhance your score in the evaluation process.
Deadline: The Application module will close at 11:59 PM MT on February 5, 2013. After this date the application module closes and no updates, additions or changes will be accepted. Incomplete applications are ineligible and will not be considered for the 2013 Scholars Program.
Last Updated 03/25/2013